Product Name: CatBack
Most Recent Version: 1.4
From version 1.2 and up, the Windows version now has an installer!
In case you want to read about it first: CatBack v1.4 User Guide
Version 1.4 released 8/1/13
- Added new preference that allows scan of last backup (backup step 2) to be skipped to make backup process faster. Even if scan of last backup is turned off, it may still execute if previous backup was interrupted or the previous file list file cannot be loaded. Turn scan of last backup on if there is any chance the contents of the latest backup folder have been modified since the last backup; otherwise, it is recommended to leave it off.
- Added new preference to set the number of errors that can occur during the move/copy steps of a backup before the backup is halted. Default is 10. (Previous versions of CatBack had no limit.)
- Incremental backup directory sizes are now cached in files named \".cb_size\" within the incremental backup directories. This speeds up incremental backup processing when backups are on a slow network location. If you manually modify the contents of an incremental backup, delete the \".cb_size\" file from the root of the incremental backup directory (it will get recreated on the next backup run).
- Backup steps 1 and 2 no longer guess on progress when displaying progress bar. If there is not enough information to show an accurate level of progress, the progress bar appears in the unknown progress state.
- Added Begin Backup menu item to the File menu.
- Adjusted the number of fraction digits shown for file sizes (0 for KiB, 1 for MiB, 2 for GiB, 3 for TiB)
- Mac Only: Core classes updated to use latest Apple Java extensions.
Version 1.3 released 5/12/11
- Redesigned user interface.
- Updated to take advantage of Java 6 features (Java 6 is now required).
- Improved row sorting in tables.
- Added preference for setting the application Look and Feel.
- Checkbox file trees now use check boxes and selection highlighting consistent with the active Look and Feel.
- Default Look and Feel for Windows platform is now the Nimbus Look and Feel.
- Input processing and validation now handled by XanderCat Zenput framework.
- Added backup history (on the menu, go to Window -> Backup History).
- By default, logging output is now sent to catback.log (this can be changed using the \"-l\" flag). This file is recreated every time CatBack is started.
- Multiple miscellaneous bug fixes.
Version 1.2 released 6/12/10
- When starting the program, the previous state of the main window is restored (size, location, etc).
- In the Edit menu, a new Backup Settings dialog replaces the Backup Profile Details dialog.
- New backup settings for limiting the age and size of the incremental backup directories.
- New backup setting to show what files will be moved/copied before the move/copy takes place.
- New backup setting to keep the file copy window open after successful backup.
- Added splash screen on startup.
- Fixed issue with the log filling with warnings when performing backup to unmapped network drive.
- Fixed bug where closing a backup from the File menu could result in an error.
- File popup menus now have a Refresh option.
- Windows distribution now uses an installer for added convenience.
Version 1.1 released 10/30/09
- File copying performance improved significantly.
- Added ability to exclude files from a backup set. This is useful when needing to exclude one or more files from directory being backed up while still automatically backing up any new files added to the directory.
- File names are rendered in different colors: blue for included, red for excluded, black if children are included or excluded, and all other files in gray.
- New popup menu for files with shortcuts for include/exclude and info option for getting file details.
- When starting the program or loading another backup, the previous state of the file tree is restored.
- Improved icons.
- Backup size display improved (calculation bug fixed, sizes now show up to 2 fraction digits, summary size can now show GiB where previously is only showed up to MiB).
- Added support to enable newer versions of the application to load backup profiles from older versions (unfortunately, as this was not part of version 1.0, if you have a version 1.0 backup profile you will have to recreate it).
- Utilizes new application framework for more consistent cross platform support and better version history.
- When cancelling a backup in the middle of copying a large file, it will no longer attempt to finish copying the file (copied portion will be deleted).
- Application can no longer be closed while a backup is currently in progress (backup must be cancelled or allowed to complete).
- Fixed bug where message dialog on backup completion could get stuck behind main application window.
- Profile names are now required (well, ok, more like strongly suggested).
- Application log by default is now available through the Help menu (assuming you do not change the log target with the "-l" program argument).
- Added diagnostics window which can be activated by starting the application with the "-monitor" program argument (though this is primarily a feature to support development).
- Fixed bug where cancelling on step 5/5 would not actually cancel the copying of files.
- File copying performance improved.
- Applied fix to prevent application from stalling out when a directory cannot be accessed (for example, a mapped network drive that is currently unavailable)
- Various framework improvements (specifically for caching and user input).
- Minor visual and wording changes.
Version 1.0 CR2 (Candidate Release 2)
- New progress bar implemented to hopefully eliminate intermittent problems with the original progress bar.
- Copy window status text area is now limited to 500 lines to prevent memory problems on extremely large backups.
Version 1.0 CR1 (Candidate Release 1)
- Fixed issue with Mac verison always reporting it had copied the "/" directory.
- File copy window improved.
Version 1.0 beta
- First feature complete version ready for testing.
|Last Updated 8/5/2013 by Scott Arnold|